The AIM Explorer is a free simulation that combines grade-leveled digital text with access features common to most text readers and other supported reading software. Magnification, custom text and background colors, text-to-speech (synthetic and human), text highlighting, and layout options are presented in a logical sequence to help struggling readers decide which of these supports might help them to access and understand text.
Accessible Instructional Materials (AIM)
Print-based educational materials converted into specialized formats, related to the requirements of the IDEA statute.View in glossary
Published material retrieved and read via a computer.View in glossary
Artificial production of human speech, using special software and/or hardware.View in glossary
Who is it For?
The AIM Explorer is designed to be used by a reader working collaboratively with an educator, tutor, parent, or assistive technology specialist as a guide. The guide may create a student account in order to re-assess reader preferences at a later time, or lead the reader on an exploration without creating an account. In both cases a reader summary profile will be created at the end of the exploration, but student preferences will only be saved if an account is created. Alternatively, a reader could initiate an exploration independently.
Equipment or system where principal function is creation, conversion, duplication, control, display, interchange, transmission, reception, or broadcast of data.View in glossary
How Does it Work?
The AIM Explorer combines server-side account creation and maintenance with a downloadable application that can be used with or without an Internet connection. It takes approximately 20–30 minutes to complete an exploration. The application download is large—approximately 50 MB.
IMPORTANT: Student record-keeping is only available with both an account and an active Internet connection. The AIM Explorer may be used offline but user account and student records will not be available.
AIM Explorer Accessibility
The AIM Explorer is designed for readers with low vision, physical challenges, and learning and attentional difficulties who may benefit from enlarged, spoken, highlighted, or re-formatted text. It does not address Braille use, and the Explorer assumes that the guide using the application has vision. Navigation elements on each of the AIM Explorer pages support keyboard navigation, but grade level text presented for reader use is not selectable; therefore, a guide using a screenreader must use the application controls to have sample text read aloud.
A note about screenreader access: the AIM Explorer is built using Adobe AIR and includes support for screenreader software (JAWS, etc.).
Any identifiable object within a document.View in glossary
AIM Explorer Installation
The AIM Explorer has a two-part installation for both PC and Macintosh. To run AIM Explorer, download and install the Adobe AIR 2 Runtime first and then download and install AIM Explorer. If the software is not installed in this exact order, then AIM Explorer will not run properly.
The AIM Explorer is designed to be used on screens no smaller than 15" diagonal (4:3 aspect ratio) set at 1024 x 768. On a smaller screen, the AIM Explorer display will appear clipped. Press the ESC key while Explorer is open and running to enable scroll bars to navigate the display on smaller screens.
- 2.33GHz or faster x86-compatible processor, or Intel Atom TM 1.6GHz or faster processor for netbook class devices
- Microsoft® Windows® XP, Windows Server 2008, Windows Vista® Home Premium, Business, Ultimate, or Enterprise (including 64 bit editions) with Service Pack 2, Windows 7, or Windows 8 Classic
- 512MB of RAM (1GB recommended)
- Intel® Core TM Duo 1.83GHz or faster processor
- Mac OS X v10.6, and above
- 512MB of RAM (1GB recommended)
Steps for downloading and installing Adobe AIR 2 Runtime
- Download AIR 2 Runtime from the Adobe website.
- Follow the instruction prompts to install Adobe AIR 2 Runtime on your machine.
- When installation is complete, click Finish.
Steps for downloading and installing AIM Explorer (31 MB)
- Download the AIM Explorer Adobe AIR application. NOTE: If you have trouble downloading the AIM Explorer by clicking the link provided, try right-clicking the link and choosing "Save link as..." or "Save target as" to download the application to your hard drive.
- Double-click the compressed file named aimexplorer.air and follow the on-screen directions. Adobe AIR will automatically generate the installation of the AIM Explorer.
- Once AIM Explorer has finished installing, it will open and display the home page of AIM Explorer.
- To manually open AIM Explorer, find the Application folder on your hard drive and click the AIM Explorer shortcut.